by: NJ Taylor (NJ’s videos have garnered up to 98K views)
As an independent artist, it’s always difficult to figure out how to successfully launch a new song or music video. We all hope to see our music video go viral but the truth of the matter is that the probabilities of that happening are really slim. There are thousands of videos being uploaded every minute so our video becomes literally one in a million. So how can you stand out? How can you get more views and generate more activity?
The obvious thing is to promote it on all your social media platforms but once again, there is so much information being uploaded every minute that it’s not enough. The way to go about launching a YouTube video successfully is with online promotion. But beware, there are many online companies that claim that can get you X amount of views/likes/comments for a fairly low price but stay away from these. Often what they do is ‘buy’ views/likes/comments or they get them by spamming people and you want neither. You want to be able to target people that will potentially become true fans.
First things first, make sure to tag your video properly. It’s seems like an obvious thing to do but not everyone seems to know that. When you edit your video, write the title as follow: “name of artist – title of song”. Below the title, you can add basic information; write a brief description (official video, etc.) and add all your main social media links. Then add all the relevant tags such as artists you are comparable to, location, etc. Don’t forget to monetize your YouTube video. You can do so through companies such as Google Adsense, Audiam and AdRev.
Here’s a list of online promotions that are worth trying:
- YouTube: The most successful way to promote your music video is through Google AdWords’ video campaigns. If it’s your first time using this service, call them and they will guide you on how to create a successful ad.
- Facebook: Create a Facebook event the moment you launch your video; invite all your friends to join the event and then create a Facebook ad to promote the event Raise attendance at your event. Also create a post on your fan page with the link of your YouTube video and make sure to boost your post. Then create a Send people to your website ad; go to “Create Ads – Send people to your website – then enter the URL of your YouTube video. More importantly, target your audience properly.
- ReverbNation: Their Promote on Top Sites and Promote Video campaigns are both excellent to promote a music video. Both campaigns feature the ads on premium sites such as MTV, YouTube, billboard, Pandora, Spin, Paste just to name a few. Make sure to have a good quality picture to use for the promotion. Your picture is the very first impression to your product and it’s what will make people click on your ad or not. I recommend in running your campaign for at least a month to see considerable results.
- Twitter: There are few different ways of creating campaigns with Twitter Ads. You can aim at one specific location such as a region or a city, you can target an interest (i.e. specific radio stations, artist similar to you, etc.) and many more. Create different campaigns and experiment to see which one gives you the best results. Create appealing tweets that will make people want to click on the link such as “Do you love pop music, if so check out my new single…”. They also now have a brand new feature to drive clicks called Quick Promote. This new feature allows you to promote one specific tweet that you already have posted on your Twitter page instead of running a full ad campaign.
- Promote the launch of your video to your fan mail or in your newsletter and also contact all relevant bloggers.
When promoting your video, make sure to focus on quality and not quantity. It’s better to get slower results that will make you gain true fans rather than fast results that won’t result in anything more than numbers. And if you prefer having someone doing it for you, you can hire a social media manager. Bottom line, make sure to create a budget for your online promotion.
Once you have done all that, make sure to promote it as much as possible and don’t forget to submit it the S.A.C.!