Getting Yourself Out There – The Challenge: Finish Line & Beyond
9 weeks ago, over 60 songwriters across Canada signed up for the Canadian Songwriters Social Media Challenge. The purpose of the challenge was to help songwriters put on their business hats to develop and implement a strategy towards marketing themselves online, as laid out in Ariel Hyatt’s book “Music Success in 9 Weeks.” There was a significant amount of excitement generated as can be seen by the posts and commenting from Week 1. However, as with most artists on their path to pursuing their dreams, life happened along the way, and we lost a few participants.
How many will officially complete this challenge? Scroll down to the comments of this article at midnight on March 12, 2012, and you will see the answer. Even though there will only be one winner selected from the challenge, the entire process has been worthwhile on so many levels (you have only to read a few of the blogs to see what has been accomplished).
As someone who has witnessed the birth of new blogs, new videos, new websites, and new friendships, while also trying to stay in the race, myself, I have been amazed at what people (including myself) can do when there is community for encouragement and accountability to give the necessary external pressure. All of this paired with a guide book that has been both easy to use and informative helped many neophytes to take the plunge into unchartered online territory.
Throughout the duration of this challenge, there has been a closed Facebook group for participants where people have celebrated, debated, and shared immensely while rooting for each other. Many people have remarked that the most incredible gift of taking on this challenge has been the resulting community of people who are all passionate, not only to share their music, but to help each other along the way. If you have been tracking with us and felt like you wished you had taken part, I am happy to say that this challenge has received such positive feedback, that the Songwriters Association of Canada will likely launch it again in the future, so stay tuned…
In the mean time, here is a virtual toast to all of you who have taken part, and to all of you who have been sharing the journey with us. It is my hope that experiencing or seeing what the power of community can do, would persuade you to get out and find your own tribe, that we can all celebrate when we cross our respective finish lines.
How can you connect into community through the Songwriters Association of Canada?
1. S.A.C. members can join the closed S.A.C. Community Facebook Group – S.A.C. Connect (Once you have requested to join, you will be approved upon verification of your membership).
2. Meet in person with songwriters in your neighbourhood through an S.A.C. Regional Writers Group. If you don’t have one nearby, we would happy to discuss how we could help you start one. Click for details.
3. Take part in the next edition of the Canadian Songwriters Social Media Challenge!
NOTE TO CHALLENGE TAKERS:
Okay, dear challengers, it’s a bit of work, but here is what we ask you to post in this FINAL WEEK!:
1. What action steps did you take or will you be taking based on Ariel’s suggestions in Week 9.
2. What is the biggest breakthrough you have experienced through participating in this challenge? (we want to celebrate with you)
3. What was the most significant week for you, and why?
4. Lastly, please post ALL 9 WEEKs, labelled: Week 1 – link, Week 2 – link, etc.,
5. Break out some bubbly!
The winner will be announced in one month’s time. The winner will receive a free one year membership to the S.A.C. (to be added onto existing membership), VIP 2 month Cyber PR® Campaign from Ariel Publicity that will place their music in the hands of bloggers, podcasters and online radio DJs around the world, 2 years of sponsor Bandzoogle’s Pro-plan plus a custom website design from a Bandzoogle designer, and ReverbNation is offering a $200 credit to run a PROMOTE IT ad Campaign to expand their Facebook Fanpage likes.
Congratulations to all for making it to the finish line!